With Google Webmaster Tools you get the data and tools needed to run a great SEO-friendly website. Here are some things you’ll be able to do:
- Check your site for potential issues that Google has detected
- Understand your search traffic and learn how users are finding your site
- Make optimizations to help Google better understand and represent your site
To get started you’ll need to add your website to Google Webmaster Tools. Visit the Google Webmaster Tools web page: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ and log in (if you already have a Google account) or create a new account. Account creation process is very simple, so you won’t have any difficulties here.
Once logged into Google Webmaster Tools interface you should add your website. Click on the Add a Site button, a popup will appear and you will be prompted to enter your website domain name.
The next thing to do is to confirm that you are the legitimate owner of the website and have full access to it. All you need to do is upload a small text file provided by Google into the root directory of your website. Click the Verify this site link, choose the option to upload a HTML file from the Verification Method drop-down and follow the following steps:
- Click the Download verification file link and save the file to your PC
- Connect to your hosting account using either FTP Client, or cPanel > File manager and upload the downloaded file to the root directory (public_html) of your domain name
- Click the verify button in Google Webmaster Tools interface.
That’s it, you can now use all the powerful tools Google has for you.
Was this article helpful?